The Church of St. Elizabeth, commonly known as Blue Church, is a Catholic church located in the eastern part of the Old Town in Bratislava. It is consecrated to Elisabeth of Hungary, daughter of Andrew II, who grew up in the Pressburg Castle. It is referred to as "The Little Blue Church" because of the colour of its facade, mosaics, majolicas and blue-glazed roof. It was initially part of the neighboring high school and served as the school chapel.
The one-nave church was built in 1909-1913, four years after the plans of Ödön Lechner to build a church in the Hungarian Art Nouveau style. The so-called Hungarian secessionist style forms dominate in the church. Lechner also drew plans of the neighbouring high school and of the vicarage (also in the Hungarian Secessionist style).
The ground floor of the church is oval. In the foreground there is a 36.8 metre high cylindrical church tower. At first, a cupola was planned, but was never constructed, instead, a barrel vault was built, topped by a hip roof. The roof is covered with glazed bricks with decoration, for the purpose of parting. The main and side entrances are enclosed with Romanesque double-pillars, which have an Oriental feeling. Pillars are also located near the windows. The facade was at first painted with light pastel colours. Later the church got its characteristic blue colour. A line of blue tiles and wave-strip encircles the church.
More information: http://www.modrykostol.fara.sk/info/